The Department of Small and Local Business Development (DSLBD) seeks to operate a sustainable agency; and help our local businesses operate sustainable businesses, which focus on a Triple Bottom Line:
- profits from reduced operating costs, increased sales and leveraged incentives
- minimal negative impact on the planet from eco-friendly operations, products and services; and
- supporting and enhancing the health and wellbeing of people (customers, staff, community).
Guides on Operating a Sustainable Business
- All Businesses
- Restaurant and Food Businesses including DSLBD’s Greening DC Restaurants Action Manual
- Financial Incentives to operate a sustainable business in the District
Let DSLBD know how your business is sustainable
DSLBD Sustainability Efforts
- Collaborated with DGS to design DSLBD's office space as a mobile, co-work environment with a “hoteling” reservation system and collaborative technology, which increased the agency’s seating capacity by 130% over its former, larger office space, and supports staff teleworking.
- Removal of 1,954,797 pounds of trash and recyclables that may have entered stormwater system (2014) as part of DSLBD Clean Teams Program
- Recycling of plastics, glass and aluminum collected from sidewalks and gutters along 32.64 miles of commercial corridors as part of DSLBD Clean Team Program services [supports Sustainable DC Waste Goal of achieving zero waste by capturing value through recycling]
- Mulching of 4,449 street trees as part of DSLBD Clean Teams Program services [supports Sustainable DC Nature Goal of covering 40 percent of the District with a healthy tree canopy]
- Utilization of eco-friendly herbicides and ice melt that reduces toxic runoff as part of DSLBD Clean Teams Program services [supports Sustainable DC Water Goal to make all District waterways fishable and swimmable]