GRANT for COMMERCIAL WASTE COMPACTOR DEMONSTRATION PROJECTS
- Reduces rodent issues and improves sanitation
- Promotes clean, and healthy neighborhoods
- May lower operational costs for hauling waste
- Decreases greenhouse emissions (fewer hauling trips)
- Decreases runoff pollution that enters DC’s waterways
- Are you a DC business (commercial, for-profit entity)?
- Are you a business (for-profit entity) incorporated and licensed in the District of Columbia?
- Would you be able to buy/lease and install a commercial compactor by March 31, 2019?
The FY19 DC Commercial Compactor Demonstration Grant Program (the “Program”) is administered and managed by Department of Small and Local Business Development (DSLBD) in partnership with the Mayor’s Office of Clean City (MOCC) and support from DC Health and the Department of Public Works (DPW).
The Program aims to help businesses and multi-unit residential properties, which are located in target commercial corridors, to: 1) reduce the sanitation issues (uncontained trash, loose trash and spills), which can attract rodents and pollute runoff that enters DC’s waterways; and 2) reduce number of waste hauling trips that contribute to carbon emission. In doing so, the Program will support the Sustainable DC goals to minimize the generation of greenhouse gas emissions and reduce the volume of waste disposed.
The 2019 Program focuses on collaborative efforts to improve the public realm with a specific focus on sanitation conditions of commercial corridors by installing compactors for trash, recyclables, compost and other waste.