- Principal office of the business must be physically located in the District of Columbia;
- Meets one of the following standards:
- Independently owned, operated, and controlled; or
- More than 50% owned, operated, and controlled by a District based enterprise or not-for-profit business; or
- Owned by a non-District-based business enterprise or not-for-profit business that is more than 50% owned by District residents;
- Chief Executive Officer and highest-level managerial employees of the business enterprise must perform their managerial functions in their principal office located in the District;
- Meets one of the four following standards:
- More than 50% of the employees of the business are residents of the District; or
- The owners of more than 50% of the business enterprise are residents of the District; or
- More than 50% of the assets of the business, excluding bank accounts, are in the District; or
- More than 50% of the business gross receipts are District gross receipts
CBE One-on-One Counseling
DSLBD also offers one-on-one counseling for businesses interested in learning more about the application process or receiving other assistance with the CBE program. Register for a session or drop in - sessions occur every second and fourth Thursday of the month.
For new applicants - the steps to becoming a CBE are:
- Submit the online CBE application (online application must include the uploaded checklist items)
- DSLBD review and determination.
Begin the process for New Applicants.
Begin the process for Returning Applicants.