Bonding your business means access to more business opportunities, increased revenue potential, but more importantly – it tells contractors in you are capable and ready to perform on projects. As development in the District grows at a rapid pace, make sure your company is a part of the pool of qualified contractors.
The Compete DC: Bond Your Business Program is a six week program offered through a partnership between the D.C. Department of Small and Local Business (DSLBD) and The Surety & Fidelity Association of America (SFAA). The program helps contractors who have the skills necessary to complete public works contracts but who lack financial strength to obtain a bonding line or increase their current bonding capacity on their own.
While in the program, participants will have the chance to meet and network with some of the top general contracting firms in the area. All of whom are seeking qualified contractors with bonding capacity. These networking sessions will allow participants to build relationships with project managers and other industry professionals.
If you can answer “yes” to all of these questions, you are eligible for Bond Your Business.
- Must be CBE certified or eligible for CBE certification at time of application
- Been in business for at least two (2) years
- No bankruptcies within the last three (3) years
- Has not been charged with any felonies within the last three (3) years
- Must be interested in securing initial bonding or a bonding limit increase
- Must demonstrate commitment to follow through with the entire initiative, including personally attending the education and training workshops and assembling the necessary documentation needed for a bond readiness assessment and subsequent assistance
Session 1: Bonding for New and Emerging Contractor
Session 2: Construction Accounting and Financial Management
Session 3: Estimating and Bidding
Session 4: Project Management and Field Operations
Session 5: Legal Issues, Claims and Dispute Resolution
Session 6: Managing Growth - Why Some Contractors Succeed and Others Fail
For course descriptions, please see the Bond Your Business Course Listing attached below.
How to Apply
Interested participants must submit an application online. Seating is limited so please be sure to thoroughly complete the application. Qualified applicants will be contacted directly by DSLBD via phone and e-mail. All sessions are held at 441 4th St NW 9:30am – 12:30pm.
Submit an online application here: http://goo.gl/forms/8bMPnEivTO
For more information contact Shara Gibson at [email protected].